Provides radiotherapy to tumors in hard to reach places
The advanced device, popularly known as "Truebeam STx", provides radiotherapy to tumors in hard to each places. What makes this device different from similar technologies is that it can deliver a higher dose in a much shorter time thanks to its ability to reach a high dose rate. Therefore, it can provide high performance treatment processes by significantly reducing the duration and number of sessions.
In this linear accelerator device used in radiotherapy treatment; Four different radiotherapy techniques are used: IMRT (intensity-adjusted irradiation), RapidArc, SRT (stereotactic radiotherapy) and SRS (stereotactic radiosurgery) accompanied by IGRT (image guided radiotherapy).
It stands out especially in the radiotherapy of tumors in organs such as lung, liver and breast that require respiratory monitoring. Since irradiation can be done by monitoring the respiratory movement, high treatment dose can be given directly to the area where the tumor is located.
What are Its Features?
-The most important advantage is that it is comfortable, has a high accuracy and sensitivity towards the target. It is an ideal method for the treatment of different types of tumors in sensitive spots.
The most important feature of the treatment device is to locate the tumor with 3-dimensional images taken before and during the treatment and to allow the rays to target the tumor continuously. Tumors are usually not properly shaped. TrueBeam STx shapes the beams and adapts them to the shape of the tumor, thus ensuring that the healthy tissue around the tumor receives less doses.
Thanks to TrueBeam, many types of cancer can be treated. Its speed can reduce the treatment time from 10-30 minutes to 2 minutes. The shorter time the patient lies on the table allows to reduce tumor movement, thus maximizing the protection of healthy tissue. The precision of the system increases with measurements of less than 1 millimeter. There are also solutions for the treatment of tumors that displace with respiration such as lung and liver.
In practice, known radiotherapy processes are valid. With the advantage of shortening the treatment time up to 5 times, the patient's compliance with the treatment increases. Thanks to the coordination and speed of imaging methods in the treatment process, the rate of normal tissue preservation is increased, the side effects are reduced and the treatment efficiency on the tumor is increased by adjusting the intensity.
- It can radiate to tumors under 0.5 mm.
- The location of the tumor is determined with 3D images taken before and during treatment. In this way, the rays can constantly target the tumor.
- Generally, tumors that are not uniformly shaped are adapted to the shape of the tumor as a result of this device shaping the beams. Thus, the healthy tissue around the tumor is provided to receive less doses.
- It is especially preferred in the treatment of tumors with small volumes in the brain and whole body and adjacent to risky organs.
- Lying on the table for a shorter period of time allows the reduction of tumor movement, thus maximizing healthy tissue protection
- The precision of the system increases with measurements of less than 1 mm.
- There are also solutions for the treatment of tumors that replace respiration, such as lungs and liver.
- Thanks to the coordination and speed of imaging methods in the treatment process, the rate of normal tissue preservation is increased and the side effects are reduced and the treatment efficiency on the tumor is increased by adjusting the intensity.
In which diseases can it be used?
With this linear accelerator device, many types of cancer that require radiotherapy can be treated. In practice, known radiotherapy processes are valid. High treatment dose can be given directly to the area where the tumor is located.
It is used in the treatment of tumors with small volumes or adjacent to risky organs in the whole body, and in the radiotherapy of tumors in organs such as lung, liver, and breast that require respiratory monitoring. Since irradiation can be done by monitoring the respiratory movement, high treatment dose can be given directly to the area where the tumor is located. It is also among the treatment options for lung, spinal canal tumors and second series of irradiations.
Treatment with this device can be applied to diseases that are of interest to the following medical units:
Brain and neurosurgery
- Cancer (Oncology)
- Breast clinic
- Breast health
- Radiation oncology
How is it implemented?
With this device, all treatments are applied with computer control. The patient lies on the mobile table of the device. The device, on the other hand, rotates around the patient and synchronizes the dose delivered and the imaging process. Since irradiation can be done by monitoring the respiratory movement, high treatment dose can be given directly to the area where the tumor is located.
Each session takes 2-3 minutes on average. A complex radiosurgery application that can last from 40 minutes to 2 hours can be completed in approximately 5-20 minutes with this device.
What are their Advantages?
- In this method, which can be applied without the need for anesthesia, the patient is awake and does not feel anything.
- The hair is not shaved if used in the field of neurosurgery, as it is patient friendly and can be applied without reducing the quality of life.
- It can be applied to elderly and patients with systemic diseases.
- By shortening the treatment period up to 5 times, it increases the patient's compliance with the treatment.
- Solid tissues receive less beam as the beam is focused at the center of the target.
- High doses can be given in one session.
- Its mechanical system is moving fast.
- As a result of the rapid delivery of the beam, the duration of exposure and session is shortened.
- It is able to offer radiotherapy and radiosurgery options on the same platform by integrating them comfortably for the patient.
Are there any side effects?
Since the device only affects the treated area, it has no side effects throughout the body. However, local or different side effects may occur depending on the area of application. Since each patient's response to the treatment process will differ, physicians provide information on this issue before treatment.
You can ask the expert team of Group Florence Nightingale Hospitals about Truebeam STx and ask for suggestions about your question. To contact us, you can use the contact form on our website or call 0850 711 60 60.